Browse our selection!

Visit my Traveling Vineyard site at http://www.travelingvineyard.com/guide/morethanatasting to book a tasting, or to join my team!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Que Syrah, Syrah!




It was a Rosemount Granache Shiraz that was my first wine love. Before that, I'd never really looked for a bottle of wine each time I went grocery shopping. Then, one day, my grocery store stopped
carrying it! The nerve!! So I had to branch out. To find new wines to love. To try new flavors. So I suppose it was a blessing in disguise!

But Shiraz (or Syrah) is still one of my all-time favorite wines. Syrah is not as popular as other wines, only being the 7th most-grown grape in the world. DNA testing in 1998 revealed Syrah to be descended from France. A migration of the plant to Australia and South Africa gave birth to the name Shiraz (there's a much longer story there, but it's not that interesting).

What you do need to know is that Syrah and Shiraz are pretty much the same grape, but they are NOT the same grape as a Petit Sirah.

Like any grape, the terroir will change the flavors you experience. However, most Shiraz/Syrahs are going to be very deep red, have higher alcohol content than Pinot Noirs (as most are grown in warmer climates, leading to higher sugar content, which in turn produces higher alcohol content). Typical notes/aromas are blackberries, pepper, chocolate, and espresso. (French Syrahs are more on the black pepper scale, while Australian Shiraz may be more blackberry-esque). Depending on the terrior, you might get some flavors like leather, truffle, or even violets.

Want to pair your Syrah with cheese? Try an awesome cheddar, an edam, or some gouda.

Want to pair your Syrah with food? Go for strong flavors with your pairing - try a nice lamb chop, some lobster paella, or even a smoky-spiced t-bone steak.

Visit my Traveling Vineyard site at http://www.travelingvineyard.com/guide/morethanatasting to browse our great selection of offerings, start an exciting new career, or contact me to book a tasting in your home and try before you buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment